What type of cases will the Complaints Board hear?

A case can concern all circumstances in the legal relationship between the parties. The board of appeal, however, must reject complaints if the processing pursuant to legislation is given to public authorities and cases concerning personal injury or damage to property.

Will a house owner or agency be able to raise a complaint?

No. Only a private consumer may commence a case at the Complaints Board.

What does it mean that the Complaints Board is “private”?

It means that the Complaints Board has an authorization from the Danish government in order to hear cases subject to its competence according to the statutes. The government approval (by the Danish Minister for Business and Growth) guaranties the authority of the Complaints Board. However, the Complaints Board is run solely by private organizations – The Association of Danish Holiday House Letters (Feriehusudlejernes Brancheforening) and the Danish Consumer Council (Forbrugerrådet Tænk).

Are there any time limits?

No, there are no time limits. However, a tenant should not be passive for a long time before the complaint is brought before the board.

Are there any expenses connected to the services of the Complaints Board?

The overall objective of the Complaints Board is to be cost effective, meaning a fair legal hearing without severe legal costs. It costs EUR 40 (in Denmark DKK 300) for the complainer to raise a complaint. The fee is refunded to the lessee if the lessee’s claim is sustained in whole or in part, or if the case is rejected as not being suitable for processing.

Will I be able to initiate proceedings concerning a holiday home located outside Denmark?

The board processes complaints about letting agencies that are established in Denmark from lessees regarding their stay in and renting of holiday homes. The holiday home may be located outside Denmark if the letting agency is located in Denmark. A complaint about a letting agency that is established abroad can, however, be processed if the case is more related to Denmark than to the country of establishment if the parties so agree.